Phone: (919) 787-7711
Facsimile: (919) 787-7710
Scott H. Dunnagan has over a decade of experience helping individuals and business in a variety of legal disputes and controversies across North Carolina. He is an experienced litigator in high stakes trust and estate litigation, complex commercial and construction litigation; collections; tort prosecution and defense; employment law; financial litigation; workers’ compensation defense; representation of creditors in preference litigation; and representation of secured and unsecured creditors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases. His litigation experience includes numerous jury trials in Superior Court and Federal Court, as well as all levels of appeals.
Mr. Dunnagan’s practice also includes representation of condominium and homeowners association throughout the state. Of note, he has held the position of Vice Chair of the Community Association Practice Group for one the largest defense firms in North Carolina.
In recent years, the majority of his practice focus is in the area of trust and estate litigation, to include civil litigation, guardianship law and special proceedings before the Clerk.
Mr. Dunnagan enjoys both the thrill of courtroom litigation, as well as the opportunity to explore creative and appropriate resolution for his clients. He strives for the perfect balance aggressive advocacy and risk management. This approach has proved successful in allowing his clients to make informed decisions regarding resolution of their case.
Areas of Practice
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
Admitted to Practice:
- North Carolina, 2008
- U.S. District Court – Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A. – 2004 (graduated with honors)
- University of Alabama School of Law, J.D. – 2008
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section Member
- Wake County Bar Association
- Tenth Judicial District Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- BarBri Award for Academic Excellence and Service, 2008
- Pro Bono Honor Society Member, 2017
- Extensive experience litigating trust and estate disputes, including breach of fiduciary litigation, guardianship proceedings, special proceedings, and appeals to the North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Obtained summary judgments for over $3 million dollars against debtor and guarantors on behalf of trade creditor for unpaid monies due under promissory notes. Of note, the judgments were the 17th largest in North Carolina in 2015 based on those reported in Lawyers Weekly.
- Obtained payment for various subcontractors, each in excess of $100,000.00, on claims against general contractor and land owner for failure to pay subcontractor for construction labor on commercial building project.
- Tried to final decision well over one hundred litigated cases before the North Carolina Industrial Commission, involving a wide variety of disputed issues including jurisdiction, injury by accident, occupational disease, disability, medical causation, liens, and fraud.
- Achieved favorable results for uninsured employers on claims and penalty actions before the North Carolina Industrial Commission.
- Representation of clients in State and Federal courts in a variety of complex commercial and business litigation cases.
- Offer professional advice and advocacy to employees and employers with employment law concerns, including review of employment contracts, employment benefits, discrimination, termination of employment, severance agreements, non-compete agreements, wage and hour claims, and family and medical leave claims.
- Vast experience working with condominium and homeowners associations throughout the state, including collection of dues, interpretation of documents, resolving disputes with homeowner(s), and drafting governing documents. Of note, served as Vice Chair for Community Association Practice Group for one of the largest defense firms in North Carolina.
- Assist landlords and tenants in the review, negotiation and drafting of leases
- Provide personal consultation for a variety of needs within business law, such as selecting the proper entity for the business and establishing the entity.
- Representation of secured and unsecured creditors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases.
- Representation of creditors in preference litigation.