Experienced Civil Litigation Lawyers
The litigation attorneys at Wilson Ratledge routinely represent clients in a wide variety of civil disputes including business and complex commercial matters, partnership, construction, employment, insurance, lien prosecution and defense, local government defense, real estate, land use, securities, bankruptcy, trusts and estates, just to name a few. When faced with the potential for litigation, it is critical that clients engage counsel that is experienced and adept at navigating the process, vigorously advocating for the client’s interest, and guiding the client throughout the process. The litigation attorneys at Wilson Ratledge have extensive experience in all aspects of the litigation process, and take great pride in providing our clients with practical advice and zealous advocacy while always keeping the clients’ goals and objectives in mind.
The business litigation group at Wilson Ratledge represents businesses of all sizes and types in a variety of matters, including, but not limited to, breach of contract, complex business disputes, fraud, interference with contracts and economic advantage, negligent misrepresentation, partnership disputes, shareholder issues, non-compete agreement disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets, business torts, and unfair and deceptive trade practices. The team will appear in state courts throughout North Carolina, including the North Carolina Business Court, all three Federal District Courts, as well as federal and state appellate courts.
Visit the Business Law page for additional information and services
Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation
Wilson Ratledge represents commercial lenders and creditors throughout the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina, and provide key legal expertise on how to navigate the complex Chapters of the Bankruptcy Code and the various challenges facing creditors when a debtor files for bankruptcy.
Visit the Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation page for additional information and services.
Local Government Defense Litigation
Wilson Ratledge litigators represent local governments and agencies in civil rights litigation, employment law claims, and law enforcement liability. With over 100 years of collective experience in government representation, the professionals at Wilson Ratledge are well-equipped to handle challenging issues facing local governments in North Carolina.
Visit the Government Defense page for additional information and services.
Real Estate Litigation
Wilson Ratledge routinely represent clients in disputes involving real property litigation, including contract disputes, interests in real property, non-possessory interests in real property, partition proceedings, landlord-tenant disputes, construction actions, foreclosures, lease enforcements, lien actions, representation of condominium and homeowners’ associations, and complex environmental regulatory and insurance claims. The Wilson Ratledge group is not only experienced in trials in state and federal courts, but also equally experienced in alternative dispute resolution procedures, including mediated settlement conferences and arbitration.
Visit the Real Estate, Development & Land Use page for additional information and services.
Trust and Estate Litigation
It is not uncommon for an individual’s family members, friends, or other unrelated parties to find themselves, during the individual’s lifetime, or after death, in situations that could lead to disputes and/or litigation. Wilson Ratledge routinely represent clients in the following matters involving trusts and estates:
- Lifetime Financial Abuse Matters: Such matters can often involve a third party taking complete control of another person’s finances including the relative’s business at a time when the relative is compromised either physically and/or cognitively.
- Will Caveat Actions: If you believe that a relative or other person executed a Last Will and Testament at a time when he/she did not have the capacity to do so, or at a time when that person was subjected to the undue influence of a third party that sought to take advantage of your loved one, Wilson Ratledge can assist you contesting that person’s Last Will and Testament in court. The professionals at Wilson Ratledge have frequently represented clients on both sides of these lawsuits. The team has successfully prosecuted and defended will caveat actions, and the combination of knowledge and experience on both sides of will caveat actions provides the unique experience necessary to achieve the best results for our clients.
- Trust Litigation: Similar to will contests, Wilson Ratledge frequently represent clients in connection with disputes concerning the validity of trusts and advocate for our clients’ rights with respect to the same. It is routine for Wilson Ratledge to represent trustees of trusts, beneficiaries of trusts, and would be beneficiaries of trusts that would have had rights to certain property but for the creation or modification of a trust at a time when the settlor lacked capacity or was subjected to the undue influence of a third party. It is not uncommon for the professionals at Wilson Ratledge to simultaneously represent clients in lawsuits that involve a trust dispute and a will contest (caveat) or clients in actions involving the decanting, modification or termination of irrevocable trusts where appropriate.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty and/or Power of Attorney Abuses: If you believe that a relative or other person you care about has been victimized or damaged by a third party that has abused a power of attorney or has otherwise abused a position of trust and confidence, let Wilson Ratledge help you investigate those claims and pursue actions in court where appropriate. Conversely, if you have been accused of such abuse, Wilson Ratledge can assist you in defending yourself against such claims.
- Clerk Proceedings: Many estate and trust disputes involve hearings before the Clerk of Court. Wilson Ratledge will routinely appear in special proceedings before the Clerk of Superior Court, as well as the state superior courts of North Carolina, to resolve clients’ trust and estate needs.
- Trust and Estate Administration: In addition to representing clients in disputes involving trusts and estates, Wilson Ratledge attorneys also regularly represent and advise clients in their roles as executors, guardians, administrators and trustees to assist such clients in the administration of trusts and/or estates.